Monday, June 9, 2008

The past few weeks

The past few weeks have flown by. I've been trying to decide where to start without leaving out some very important events. So, check back often as I spend the next few days recapping the lives of Trever and Krista.

On May 24, exactly one week before our wedding day, Trever's grandfather lost his battle with cancer. This lead to a very bittersweet week for us. When his fight began only 6 weeks earlier, there was nothing we wanted more than for him to be at the church on our wedding day. As time passed we knew this wasn't going to be an option, and apparently Grandpa Ficklin thought it was more important that cousins Sherrie and Jack were there to celebrate with us instead.

Trever did a wonderful job honoring his grandfather at the funeral. He gave me permission to share the eulogy here, but I'll warn you, it's a tear jerker.

Roy, Roy Lee, Sonny, Dad, Grandpa, Uncle, Brother, Friend—

My grandfather was a man who went by many different names, and looking back on it, I realize that when a man loves, and is loved by so many different people, he cannot simply go by just one name. Everyone here today had a special relationship with my grandfather, and had his or her own special name to call him.

On the night of my grandfather’s passing, my family had the opportunity to sit around and tell stories about his life. While some of those stories are not appropriate to be told today, most of them are. Some of these stories were ones I was familiar with, and others I was hearing for the very first time

My grandfather loved horses and the “cowboy life”. He loved watching western movies, especially John Wayne films. Apparently he had a scar on his right arm from a time he was thrown into a fence by a horse. Although he never owned a horse in my lifetime, his love of horses is carried on today. His son Russ, daughter-in-law Janet, and granddaughter Kelly travel across the Midwest competing in horse shows…their love for horses may not have existed, without the influence from my grandfather.

Grandpa served on the Onarga Fire Department for 30 years. His dedication to this public service was proven during the historical Crescent City fire, where he was injured helping prevent harm being done to others. His commitment to serving others may have left scars, but also helped make one of the strongest men around.

Grandpa also possessed a deep love for agriculture, and was a strong businessman. He certainly saw his share of ups and downs, and had to make difficult decisions in his life. He was innovative in creating some of the first gravity wagons, and partnered with his father in Ficklin Machine Company. He also started Ficklin Farm Account, which is today Twin County Farms, and is operated by his son Steve, daughter-in-law Jeanie, and grandson Kent. His family carries on his love for agriculture and a part of him will continue to live through them, as well as through my parents Greg and Kathy.
I was the youngest of 5 grandchildren, and my grandpa used to tell me I was “in charge” when the grandkids got together to play. If any one of my older cousins, was doing something that was against the rules, I would go running to tell grandpa….in exchange, I got a quarter.

One of my earliest memories of my grandfather was going to visit him during a stay in a hospital. He was always so proud to show the stitches and scars from his surgeries. He would walk down the hallway of the hospital pushing along a stand with his IV fluids on it. After visiting my grandpa in the hospital my sister and I would put on our bathrobes, tie a jump rope around our arm, and attach it to a highchair. We called it “playing Grandpa”. Even during a tough time in his life, he was a strong man, and my sister and looked up to him, and wanted to be like him

My grandfather set many great examples in his life. One of these is the fact that he was a family man. He loved and stood beside the same woman for nearly 58 years. As I get ready to enter a new chapter in my life, I hope that I will be able to use his love for family as an example for my own.

Many of us today may feel like we have an open wound from the loss we have experienced. But just like my grandpa’s numerous scars, this too will heal. And the scar we are left with will be a good thing, because it will remind us of all the great memories we shared with Roy Lee Ficklin.

1 comments:

MJ said...

That's a really nice tribute to Trever's grandpa.