Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Waiting...

Today was kind of a blur, and it often times feels like we are living the same day over and over again. When we arrived at the hospital, Kelsons blood pressure was extremely low, and his blood numbers were pretty bad again. When we finally talked to the doctor he told us this was likely due to the blood thinner they were giving him to dissolve the clot, and due to the fact that he had been so heavily sedated. Luckily he did not seem too concerned, and was optimistic things would level back out. We were going to have to check out of the guest house, because they have a limit on the number of consecutive nights you can spend there. However, due to Kelsons critical condition, the nurse made a phone call and Demanded we stay another night, so we are across the street again tonight. Luckily, we have several friends and family who live 15-20 min from the hospital who have invited us to stay there, but we are spoiled being within walking distance. Finally, after being here 6 days, I made a quick trip back home. I was able to return some phone calls, check on the animals, and do a few other odd jobs. I also converted my car from a mobile office, to a mobile clothes closet, since we don't know where we are staying on a night to night basis. I was able to pick Claire up from the babysitters, and bring her down with me. It was nice to spend some time in the car with her talking, and singing goofy songs. Just as we were pulling into the parking garage at Carle, the tornado sirens were going off. I grabbed Claire out of the car, and we headed to the building. As we got inside, they were advising everyone to go to the basement. After hanging out in the basement for a while, we were given the all clear. I went upstairs, and walked back to see Kelson. However they were in the middle of changing his chest tubes, and putting in a central line, so I was told I would have to wait to see him. When Krista and I finally got to to back in, we saw one of the most heartbreaking things ever...Kelson was crying. With the tube down his throat, he can't make noise, but it was obvious in his face that he was in pain. Krista and I were able to console him, and let him know mommy and daddy were near. He has just enough room in his mouth that we are able to hold a small pacifier up to his lips. He can't really suck on it, but enjoys having it in his mouth. Kelson seems to be able hold his body temperature, so they have raised the hood on his isolate, which will allow us more access to rub on him and give him kisses. Before we tucked him in tonight, all of his stats were acceptable, and many of them were very good. He appeared to be resting peacefully. We were also able to put his prayer cap on his head. Kelson continues to be blessed with many visitors, and today's list included Mike and Ria Voelker, Kristas Uncle Roger and Aunt Carol, my cousins Will and Kelly Gerber, Darcy N, and Jan V. Earlier today I was on the phone with a friend, expressing my frustrations, and saying that my patience was running thin. Shortly after that conversation, I heard a song on the radio by John Waller called "While I'm Waiting". It really helped put things in perspective for me, and I'm including the lyrics on the blog. These words will be my prayer in the days to come. We are looking forward to a great day tomorrow. Please continue to pray for Kelsons healing, and for everyone involved, pray for their patience. We will wait as long as we have to in order to bring Kelson home. I'm waiting I'm waiting on You, Lord And I am hopeful I'm waiting on You, Lord Though it is painful But patiently, I will wait I will move ahead, bold and confident Takeing every step in obedience While I'm waiting I will serve You While I'm waiting I will worship While I'm waiting I will not faint I'll be running the race Even while I wait I'm waiting I'm waiting on You, Lord And I am peaceful I'm waiting on You, Lord Though it's not easy But faithfully, I will wait Yes, I will wait I will serve You while I'm waiting I will worship while I'm waiting I will serve You while I'm waiting I will worship while I'm waiting I will serve you while I'm waiting I will worship while I'm waiting on You, Lord

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is a precious post, Trever. Glad you were able to spend some one-on-one Daddy time with Miss Claire!! Darn tornado warnings! We were so glad to finally have some face time with Mr. Kelson yesterday, can't wait to see him again!!

Love Ya,

Ria

Gina Fritz said...

It's so weird how I heard such similiar words come out of your sister's mouth only a few weeks ago..."I've got all the time in the world." She said that to me as she was waiting for Ronnie to respond and come back to us. Your family is soooo strong, and so full of Faith in God. It is so refreshing in this world that so often blames God rather than looking to him. My prayers are with you every day! He looks so precious in the new picture:)

Anonymous said...

Trevor just rely on your faith and he will get you through this. God has a plan for Kelson and he is with you. Hang in there we are all praying and sending love to you all. (((hugs)))


Traci Mussman

Sue Read said...

First of all,thanks for the posts!Continued prayers, love and hugs to you all!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad God sent you comfort in a song. John Waller came and sang it to a couple at our church who had been waiting to have a baby on the day they christened him. The couple had continued to serve in the church nursery while they waited. I am sure it has helped many.

He has another beautiful song ( and video) as for me and my house we will serve the Lord .. powerful.

Joey Wilson said...

Praying for Kelson, the strong parents and family who surround him, as well as the doctors & staff caring for him. God Bless you guys.

Anonymous said...

Hopeful that today is a good day for Kelson and your family. What a blessing that you were able to touch and console him. Praying for you guys!