Monday, June 4, 2012

Routine

The day finally came for Krista and I to find some "normal". Krista got up early to go to work, while I stayed home with Claire and continued to tackle some projects around home. At 8:30, I took Claire to Kristas parents, and headed in for my shift at the hospital. Kelson was resting when I arrived, as he had already had a big morning. He had more bloodwork done, and another chest x-ray. The Surgical NP also stopped by to check on Kelsons hernia. After visiting with the doctor, I was thrilled to learn that the blood tests were normal, and the x-ray looked great. This means that the medicine is still doing it's job, without any significant side effects. They have continued to reduce ventilator settings, and are considering weaning the special formula, and medication.

At about 1 PM, I left to run some errands, and do some work myself. I work a lot in the champaign area, so it was great to not have much of a drive. I was surprised how easy it was to get back in the swing of things, and even signed up a new client today.

Krista got to the hospital about 3 PM, and was able to spend the rest of the afternoon with Kelson, and gave him another bath. Our goal is for Krista to work mornings while I'm at the hospital, hopefully cross paths to eat lunch together, then for me to work while she spends time with Kelson. This routine is far from ideal, but gives us both opportunity to be with Kelson, and get some work done.

When we all got home tonight, we went exploring around the new house. We were able to enjoy the first fresh blueberries, and the raspberries and blackberries will be ripe soon. The peach tree is also loaded with little peaches. It is so exciting to have so many fresh fruit bushes, but I have a feeling Claire will eat them faster than they can grow. We continue to unpack little by little, but unfortunately, we start running low on energy about 9 PM.

Today felt very productive, but I am definitely ready to crawl into bed tonight. Hopefully Kelson continues to stay on track...at this point we certainly dont need any more curveballs!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great news on all fronts!

Ria

MJ said...

Wow! It was great to read that they are weaning him from meds and the special formula!
Sending good thoughts to you as you work to find your rhythm.